I woke up this morning feeling rejuvenated and motivated. It’s a Monday and not only that, the Monday of a new month. Both of these events usually have me feeling ready for a fresh start. I definitely feel the blues on Sunday night about the weekend ending, but come Monday morning, I’m ready to go. If I’m not, I have a few ways to get myself going.
- Go to the gym: Nothing gets me awake and ready to start a new week like some good exercise. Mondays are the easiest day for me to motivate myself to get to the gym. When I wake up, I get dressed in my gym clothes before I make breakfast, pack lunches or do the school dropoff. That way, once my biggest is at school we can head straight to the gym. It clears my mind, shakes off the fog from inevitably staying up too late on Sunday trying to extend the weekend and starts the week feeling good.
- Schedule something: Believe it or not, my favorite day to schedule appointments is Monday. Like the gym, it gives me a reason to get up and get going. And taking care of appointments just feels productive, am I right? I also use this trick on the Monday after being out of town to get myself back to reality. Also, sometimes I’m impatient. When I was pregnant, I used to always try to schedule my appointments on Mondays, because, who wants to wait until Thursday or Friday?
- Plan the rest of the week: Usually between the gym and the aforementioned scheduling, that takes up most of our morning, then it’s home for lunch and naps. During naptime on Mondays, I usually plan the rest of our week. Playdates, other appointments, activities, meals. I have a few calendars I use. I use one calendar to schedule my work, writing and other larger commitments. Then I use a weekly planner to schedule smaller to-dos, reminders, etc. Finally, my phone calendar holds most of our appointments with several reminders for each one. It sounds like a lot of work and possibly repetitive, but the only calendar I carry around is my phone. The others I reference at home.
It’s A New Month!
Like Mondays, the beginning of a new month is also one of my favorite times. And we have just entered October, which means we have commenced the six-month period in which candy is somehow always present in our house. Between Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s and Easter, the struggle is real. But I try to do a couple things at the beginning of each month to set myself up for success:
- Plan: I try to go through the various calendars, guides, websites I know of to schedule the fun activities going on around town. With the holidays coming up, the months are already filling up with possibilities. Planning ahead lets me space out activities and make sure we don’t miss any that we are hoping to do.
- Recommit: Sometimes by the end of the month I have let some things slide. At the beginning of a new month I can recommit to more consistent exercise, more homecooked meals, better planning and organization of housework, or whatever else I may want to improve. This month I am recommitting to be better about keeping up on documenting and organizing family photos and videos.
I’m not always perfect at these things, but I do know that if I do them, I feel more organized and productive. And I know could always use a little more of that…